Electronic VAT Refund (EVR) Deadline – 30th September 2019

globe on newspaper2


Has your business incurred VAT costs in another EU member State between 1st January and 31st December 2018?

If the answer is “yes” then you should begin preparing your ‘EVR’ refund claim.

As you’re aware, if you are an Irish VAT registered business who has incurred VAT in another E.U. state, you can’t reclaim this VAT in your Irish VAT 3 Form.  Instead, you must submit an online claim through the Electronic VAT Refund (EVR) service.


This EVR claim is made via the tax authorities’ portal in the trader’s own country.  In other words, an Irish VAT registered business must submit its application to the Irish Revenue Authorities via ROS.

It is the responsibility of the Irish Revenue Authorities to then forward the EVR claim to the E.U. state in question to process the refund.

The EVR application must include the following:

  • The Supplier’s details
  • The Country
  • Import information
  • The VAT details
  • Details regarding the type of supply made
  • In some member states invoices may need to be included with the claim.

The EVR application must be filed on or before 30th September 2019 in relation to VAT incurred between 1st January and 31st December 2018.

The refund payment will be made by electronic funds transfer (EFT) to the bank details provided in the claim.

A maximum of five applications can be made via the EVR  in a calendar year.  The refund period can’t be greater than one calendar year (i.e. 1st January to 31st December) and it can’t be less than three calendar months except in circumstances where the application is in relation to the last quarter of the year.

It is not possible to amend a claim to increase a VAT refund.

Please be aware that EVR reclaims are governed by the VAT recovery rules of the E.U. member state to which the claim relates.  In other words, if you are an Irish VAT registered business making an EVR reclaim in, say, France then you must comply with the French VAT rules and not the Irish rules.

If, however,  you are registered or have an obligation to register for VAT in a particular EU member state then, any reclaim of VAT incurred there must be made directly to the tax authorities of that particular E.U. jurisdiction.


For further information, please click on to the link:




Comments are closed.